top of page

British Columbia

So how much money did MNBC ask the federal government for in its 2023 Budget?


ree

(April 5, 2023) Métis Nation British Columbia (MNBC) requested a whopping $147.2 million from the federal government for fiscal year 2023/24 as part of an $834 million multi-year ask, and their pursuit of more dollars was part of a multi-billion dollar request submitted by the Métis National Council (MNC). The figures are all contained in a document prepared by MNC and submitted to the federal government early this past winter.


Last fiscal year MNBC received the bulk of their $71 million annual budget from the federal government for everything from housing, employment training, child development, health, education and other programs thanks to funding agreements negotiated previously by former MNBC President Clara Morin Dal Col, but apparently that is not enough as they proceeded to double their ask for this year.


Despite the fact that MNBC already receives millions of dollars each year for governance and head office costs, in this latest push to gain more federal dollars, they also included a request of some $10.4 million a year to fund “headquarters”, and they wanted it for each of the next 6 years. That totals a massive $62.4 million.


This year’s federal budget which was released last week referenced funding for Indigenous housing and health, but it remains to be seen what portion of this is for the Métis Nation. The budget made no mention of any specific funding amounts for MNC nor MNBC.


BC Métis Leader and former MNBC President Clara Morin Dal Col said, “Given all the demands on the federal government for funding from so many different groups and sectors, an ask for millions of dollars should have been more precise and focused on two or three key programming areas and backed up with solid rationale, instead of a single paragraph or two.”


Ms. Morin Dal Col said, “It was also not the brightest idea to be chasing the government for more money in Ottawa and then on the same trip meeting with members of the Opposition Caucus and posting the pictures on social media.” She said, “Whoever came up with that strategy should not be going to Ottawa again.”


Ms. Morin Dal Col said, “Also maybe someone in Ottawa took a look at the $10 million a year ask for “headquarters”, the Board’s 36% salary increase last year, and the proposed nearly $3 million in consulting fees in MNBC’s last budget and concluded this Board has its priorities wrong and is not effectively using the millions of dollars the federal government already gives them.”

-30-

For further information:

Contact Clara Morin Dal Col

BC Métis Leader

Email: cmdalcol@gmail.com

 
 
 

Comments


SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER

Get the latest updates
from Clara

Thanks for submitting!

Red River Métis British Columbia

An Organization for True Métis

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram

© 2025 by Red River Métis British Columbia

bottom of page