MNBC moving into lavish new offices in Surrey while some communities wait for funding
- Della Dawn Fallah

- Jun 8, 2021
- 2 min read
(June 7, 2021) Métis Nation British Columbia (MNBC) is moving into lavish new offices in the Gateway building in Surrey while some chartered communities are waiting for promised funding from MNBC to arrive. The costs of the leasehold improvements and move were included within a staggering $1.9 million MNBC budget line earlier this year. Information gleaned from various sources indicate that MNBC will be occupying space on the 3rd, 9th and 17th floors of the tower in Surrey. Given the enormous increase in new staff, the CEO revealed in his report to the Métis Nation Governing Assembly (MNGA) in May that the original lease of the 3rd floor of the new headquarters would already be at capacity at the time of opening. How much more is the space and leasehold improvements on the 9th and 17th floors going to cost?

Shockingly, the huge cost of moving and leasehold improvements may be wasted money in light of the Chief Executive Officer informing the MNGA that he has met with a member of Surrey City Council to discuss options for a “new” MNBC owned and operated headquarters in Surrey in 2026.
MNBC President Clara Morin Dal Col finds the whole situation very disturbing. She said, “I can’t believe that MNBC can find the money to move onto three different floors of a fancy tower in Surrey and hiring more HQ staff, but can’t find the money that was promised to some chartered communities.” The President said, “This is a classic example of screwed-up priorities. Communities should always come first and the money should actually be sent to them, instead of being withheld for whatever reason.”
The MNBC President said, “Most of the funds for the communities were all negotiated at the federal level by my working closely with the Métis Nation leadership prior to my improper suspension in January, and the funds need to be released to the communities immediately.”
With regard to the CEO having discussions with a member of Surrey City Council about a new MNBC owned and operated headquarters being built in Surrey in 2026, the President worries that funds intended for the benefit of MNBC Citizens and future generations of Métis are going to be spent on extravagances
like a new headquarters. She said, “How can they justify spending nearly $2 million this year on new office space, and then millions more in 2026 on a new building?”
President Morin Dal Col’s suspension (and effective removal) from office back on January 18th by a motion supported by nine members of the Board has prevented her from moving forward on her platform and the commitments that she made to the Métis people when she was re-elected for a four-year term just 8 and ½ months ago.
-30-
For further information:
Contact President Clara Morin Dal Col
Email: cmdalcol@gmail.com



Comments